The building's design was based on the designs of London’s original horse auction rooms, which were founded in 1776.
The Queen Street front was not acquired until 1935, and cemented the Club as part of the Brisbane CBD footprint. Former Club President, Thomas Ramsay Hall, was the Club’s unofficial architect and worked with his firm Hall and Prentice to design the building.
In 1997, the decision was made to invest in a two stage redevelopment of the Club including a new retail arcade, ground floor entrance and first floor foyer.
In addition to second stage redevelopment, facilities including a new kitchen, gymnasium, dining and function rooms, library and office facilities were also developed.